Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Interview with Grace Howard


There is an old writer’s trick of developing your characters by conducting “interviews” with them.  Of course, you are really interviewing yourself, since the character exists in your mind, but if you open yourself up to it, it can be an extremely helpful exercise. 
Typically, questions are open-ended, psychological tidbits, like “What is your greatest fear?” But, I think it might be just as informative (and a lot more fun) to ask a completely different line of questions.  So, here goes:
Me:  Welcome to my blog.  Why don’t you tell us a little about yourself?
Grace:  Thanks for having me, Kelly.  Well, let’s see.   My name is Grace Howard.  I’m 37 years old.  I’ve been married for 10 years to my wonderful husband, Nick.  I’m a pastry chef and my hobbies are watching movies, amateur photography and reading celebrity magazines.
Me:  Alright, Grace, I’m going to ask you some questions and I want you to answer truthfully.
Grace:  No problem.  I tend to be honest to a fault.
Me:  The Beatles or the Stones?
Grace:  Um…David Bowie. 
Me:  That wasn’t one of the choices. 
Grace:  Yeah, but it should have been.  I mean, Bowie is so much more versatile and entertaining than the Beatles or the Stones. 
Me:  Well, okay, it’s your interview.  The next choice is a tricky one.  Money or fame.
Grace:  Good question.  Up until a few months ago, I would have chosen fame, hands down.  But, with the help of a new friend, I have come to realize that fame isn’t always all it’s cracked up to be.  So, even though it’s true that money can’t buy you happiness, it sure can buy you a lot cute shoes to wear while you are tracking happiness down.
Me:  Would you rather be a vampire or a werewolf?
Grace:  What kind of a silly question is that?  Of course I don’t want to be either one!
Me:  You have to pick one.
Grace: (Sigh.) Well, I’m inclined to say werewolves, because they only have to change once a month, but then again, Hollywood vampires are so much better looking.  If I can rub cold shoulders with Alexander Skarsgard and Robert Pattinson, I’ll have to go with vampires.

No comments:

Post a Comment